By-Laws of the Social Club
The name of this Organization shall be BROTHERHOOD OF THE BEARD.
Purpose of the Organization
The purpose of this Organization is: The maintenance of a social club for the social enjoyment, entertainment, amusement, and association of its members for social purposes.
Admission to Membership
1. Any citizen of the United States of America, of good character, who is twenty-one years of age or over, may be elected to membership of this organization in accordance with the rules herein provided.
2. Application for membership shall be filled out and signed by the applicant and two members in good standing. The application shall be turned over to the Secretary together with a deposit of the initiation fee and the current year’s dues.
3. The name of the applicant shall be presented for ballot at the next regular meeting, provided, however, that at least one of the sponsors shall be present at said meeting.
4. If the vote upon the applicant shall contain less than three black balls, the candidate shall be considered elected. If three or more black balls are cast at the election, the candidate may not be received into the organization as a member at this time. He may not be reconsidered for membership for at least a period of six months. All fees received from him/her shall be returned.
5. The members, by two-thirds vote, may elect to honorary life membership at any regular meeting any person who has rendered distinguished service to the Organization.
6. An elective official who has served in office at least 4 consecutive years or any member who has been a member in good standing for 25 consecutive years shall become eligible for a Life Membership in the Sunbury Social Club. Each member who has become a Life Member shall be presented with a permanent Life Membership Card.
1. The regular monthly meetings of the Organization shall be held on the third Thursday of each month in the Clubhouse of this Organization.
2. The regular hour of the meeting shall be 7:30 pm. At any time when convenience requires, the regular meeting may be held at a different hour, to be determined by vote of the Organization or of the Board of Directors,. Such change or meeting hour shall be posted.
3. the annual meeting of the Organization shall be held on the third Thursday of October in the Clubhouse of the Organization. This meeting shall be for the purpose of electing Officers and Directors, consideration of reports and the transaction of such other business as may properly come before the meeting.
4. Special meetings may be called at any time by the President of the Board of Directors on their own initiative and shall be called by the President upon written request of five members.
5. A written notice of all annual meetings and special meeting of the Organization shall be mailed to all members at least five day prior to date of such meeting.
6. At any meeting of the Organization seven members in good standing shall constitute a quorum.
Board of Directors
1. The government of the Organization and its operation shall be vested in a Board of Directors consisting of ten members, four of whom shall also be the Officers of the Organization. Two Board Members shall be elected annually for a term of three years. Officers shall be elected annually for a term of one year. Officers shall automatically be deemed members of the Board of Directors. The officers shall be named in Article VI.2.
2. Any member of the Board of Directors who is absent from three consecutive Board meetings without just cause may be dropped from the Board of Directors.
3. In the event of resignation, death, or inability for any cause whatsoever of any of the Officers or Board Members to serve, the remaining members of the Board of Directors shall have the power to select a person to fill such vacancy until the next annual meeting of the Organization when the members of the Organization shall elect a person to fill the unexpired term of the one who was unable to serve, for any of the reason aforesaid.
4. The Board of Directors shall manage the business and govern the affairs of the Organization and shall strive to carry out all the plans made by the Organization at any regular or special meeting. The Board of Directors may further exercise all such powers of the Organization and do all such lawful acts and things as are not by statutes or by these By-Law directed to be exercised or done by the members of the Organization.
5. The President shall appoint the committees.
6. Meetings of the Board of Directors may be called by the President at any time and shall be called whenever asked for by three Members of the Board. At least one day’s notice of each meeting shall be given each member of the Board, either personally or by mail.
7. A majority of the Board of Directors shall be necessary to constitute a quorum for the transaction of business.
1. The officers of this Organization shall be: a President, a Vice-President, a Treasurer, and a Secretary.
2. All officers shall be elected at the annual meeting of the Organization to serve for one year and shall take office at the next regular monthly meeting following elections.
3. In the event one person is elected to fill the offices of Secretary and Treasurer, the Organization shall then elect an Assistant Secretary.
Duties of Officers
1. The President shall act as the representative head of the Organization. He shall preside at all the meetings of the Organization and of the Board. He may from time to time call special meetings of the Organization and of the Board for any purpose. He shall call a special meeting of the Organization on written request of five members and a meeting of the Board on request of three members of the Board. He shall appoint all committees, subject to the approval of the Board and shall be, ex-officio, a member of all committees. He shall have the general control and management of the business of the Organization, subject, however, to these By-Laws and to the regulations and directions of the Board. The President shall order and see to the disposition of a yearly inventory.
2. The Vice-President shall assist the President and in the absence or disability of the President shall perform the duties and exercise the powers of the President.
3. The Secretary and / or Treasurer or a person designated by the Board of Directors shall handle and receive all moneys for all functions carried out by the Organization.
4. The Secretary shall give all such notice of meetings as are requested by the By-Laws, shall attend all meetings of the Organization and of the Board and shall keep minutes of the same. He shall perform all duties usually appertaining to the office of Secretary and such other duties as may be from time to time fixed and required by the Board. He shall receive all dues from members and remit same to the Treasurer.
5. The Assistant Secretary shall aid the Secretary in all his duties and take his place at all meetings in the absence of the Secretary.
6. The Treasurer shall have charge of all moneys of the Organization. He shall receive the dues collected by the Secretary and all income from the operation of all the facilities of whatever source or nature.
His receipts shall be deposited in the name and to the credit of the Organization in a bank to be designated by the Organization. He shall pay all bills and obligations from this fund only upon the written approval of the President and Secretary.
The accounts of the Treasurer shall be audited annually by an Auditor appointed by the Board of Directors. His accounts shall be audited as of the close of business on October 31 of each year. A report of the audit shall be given at the January meeting.
Duties of the Board of Directors
1. The Directors shall look after and care for the property of the Organization, and shall make a report on the inventory and condition of the property at each annual meeting. The Directors shall see to such repairs and replacements to the property as may from time to time be required. The Directors shall have the authority to buy merchandise and supplies for the operation of the Club rooms and to engage, supervise, and discharge all employees required for the care and operation of these said rooms.
2. The Directors shall promote and supervise the social activities of the Organization.
3. The President shall serve a Chairman of the Board of Directors and shall see to the execution of all Board decisions.
4. The Board shall meet at least once a month.
1. Nominations of Officers and Directors to be elected at the annual meeting shall be name either by the nominating committee appointed by the President or from the floor the night of the regular meeting in the month of October of each year.
2. A nominating committee consisting of not less than five members, not more than two of whom shall be members of the Board, shall be appointed by the President, with the approval of the Board, sixty days prior to the nominations. The committee shall nominate from the membership of the Organization members to be voted on for membership on the Board in relation to vacancies to be filled. The committee shall file with the Secretary a list of nominees recommended not later than ten days before the nominations. Their names shall be posted in a conspicuous place in the Club room immediately following the nominations meeting held on the third Thursday in October. Nominations, other than the ones recommended by the committee, may be made from the floor the night of nominations.
3. Any person who has been a member of the Board of Directors for two years is eligible to hold the position of President or Vice-President. Any person who has been a member in good standing for at least three years immediately prior to his nomination may be nominated for the position of Secretary or Treasurer. Any person who has been a member in good standing for at least two years immediately prior to his nomination may be nominated for the position of Director of the Organization.
4. A nomination does not have to be seconded.
5. At least one person shall be nominated for each office to be filled, but any member who is nominated and does not wish to hold office must withdraw by the last day of the month preceding the annual election.
6. Only the persons nominated in the manner above shall be eligible for election; provided, however, that if no nomination for a particular office shall have been made prior to the date of such election, or if all candidates previously nominated for a particular office shall have declined or withdrawn, nomination for that office shall be made at the regular monthly meeting.
7. All elections shall be by written ballot except where there is but one candidate in nomination, in which event the President may direct any officer to cast the vote of the Organization for such candidate.
1. The fee for initiation in this Organization shall be $25.00.
2. The regular dues for each member shall be twelve dollars ($12.00) every twelve months.
3. The membership year shall run from July 1st to June 30th. Dues will be due June 1st and must be paid by June 30th. or a member will be considered in arrears.
4. Members who are in arrears in their dues for a period of three months shall be served with a written notice sent by the Secretary through U.S. mail to pay the amount due within thirty (30) days. If the dues are not paid within the time allowed and payment is not excused for justifiable reasons by the Board of Directors, the member shall be dropped from the Organization.
Use of Organization Property
1. The use and enjoyment of the Club Rooms by members of the Organization and their quests shall be subject to house rules adopted by the Organization.
2. It shall be the duty of the Board of Directors to enforce such rules, and in the time of emergency or when the best interest of the Organization may be served, the Board may temporarily suspend or amend such rules as do not relate to conduct.
3. Neither the Club Rooms or any other property of the Organization shall be rented except upon approval of the Board of Directors. All damage and loss during such private use must be paid for by the contracting parties for such use.
4. The use of the Club Rooms and facilities of the Organization by the Ladies Auxiliary and use and storage of any equipment upon the premises of the Auxiliary shall be subject to approval by the Board, based upon a consideration of the best interests of the Organization. The installment of any equipment upon the premises may be made only upon the condition that the equipment so installed shall become the property of the Organization.
1. All expenses of normal operation of the Organization and all other items of expenditure involving $500.00 or less shall be paid upon approval of the Board of Directors.
2. All items of expenditure, other than the expenses of normal operation and emergencies of the Organization, involving more than $500.00 shall be paid upon the approval of both the Board of Directors and the members of the Organization.
Loss of Membership
1. A member of the Organization may be denied the privilege of the Organization and dropped from its rolls for nonpayment of dues as provided in these By-Laws, nonpayment of damages of property for which damage the member is held responsible under the House Rules, a serious infraction of other House Rules, or conduct unbecoming a member of the Organization.
2. A complaint against any member alleging an infraction of the House Rules or conduct unbecoming a member of the Organization shall be submitted in writing to the Secretary who shall transmit the same to the Board. The accused has the right to be heard. The Board will make a decision within one week. The Board shall have the right to drop the accused from the rolls of the Organization.
3. A member who has been dropped from the rolls of the Organization, may be reinstated upon application and approval thereof and upon payment of the same initiation fee and regular dues in the same manner provided for the admission of new members.
1. These By-Laws may be amended by a majority vote of the members present and voting at any meeting of the Organization, PROVIDED, that the amendment has been approved by the Board of Directors, has been read at a regular meeting of the Organization, and laid over until the next regular meeting, at which time it shall be voted upon. Notice of such amendment must be given in the call of the meeting of the Organization at which said amendment is to be voted upon.
HOUSE RULES of the Sunbury Social Club
1. The right to use the privileges and facilities of the Clubrooms and other property of the Organization in accordance with the By-Laws and House Rules of the Organization is extended to each member and his immediate family. An exception, however, is made in the case of adult sons, 21 years of age, of members, who in order to enjoy such a right, are required to become members themselves.
2. Any member may bring with him to the Clubrooms, nonmember relatives or friends, but the constant use of such privilege amounting to an abuse thereof shall not be allowed.
3. Sale of alcoholic beverages is restricted to members, except under circumstances permitted by State Liquor Control Board under rules that apply to a club catering license.
4. The member bringing guests to the club property will be held responsible for their conduct and compliance with House Rules.
5. Members bringing nonmembers to the Clubrooms shall be responsible for such nonmembers and shall pay all charges for such nonmembers.
6. No minor shall enjoy the facilities of the Organization except when accompanied by a parent or guardian.
7. Each member shall be responsible for all damages to the Clubrooms or Organization property of any kind caused by himself, his family, or his guests and upon his failure to reimburse the Organization within thirty days after notice by the Secretary of such charge, he shall be dropped from the rolls of the Organization.
8. Each member is under obligation to conduct himself in a respectable manner at all times during his use of the Club property and facilities. Under no circumstances shall ungentlemanly conduct or obscene or profane language be permitted in the Clubrooms or on any portion of the Organization property.
9. Members having suggestions or complaints as to the management of the Clubrooms or other facilities of the Organization may present them in writing to the Board of Directors.